David J. Hyman represents physicians, hospitals, clinics and specialty service providers throughout Oklahoma in contracts, business organization, professional and facility regulation and licensure, reimbursement, physician-hospital relations, and fraud and abuse compliance matters. David is also an arbitrator and mediator for the American Health Lawyers Association ADR Service, and an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association.
He is a well-known leader among lawyers who serve the healthcare industry, having served as the Chair of the Oklahoma Bar Association Healthcare Law Section, and as a Vice-Chair of the American Health Lawyers Association Physician Practice Group. David has been a member of the adjunct faculty of the University of Tulsa College of Law, teaching healthcare finance and organization law. David is a contributor to the American Health Lawyers Association’s publication Representing Physicians Handbook published in 2006, 2009 and 2013, authoring chapters on physician employment agreements, practice organization entities and non-physician practitioners.
Represented a physician practice group in a federal fraud/abuse and privacy compliance audit and in developing a related compliance plan.
Advised a physician certification board regarding state regulation matters.
Represented a long-term care facility in Medicare reimbursement and patient care disputes.
Represented a tax-exempt hospital in a sale to a for-profit hospital, including assistance with acquisition of fairness opinion, due diligence and all other matters attendant to the sale.
Provided advice to providers on regulatory and reimbursement matters arising under Medicare and Medicaid, including anti-kickback, Stark Law and private inurement compliance.
Representation for physicians in practice recruitment negotiations, peer review/medical staff disputes, challenges to post-employment restrictions, challenges to regulatory actions and Medicare reimbursement appeals.
Guidance to physician practice groups on merger transaction, hospital co-management arrangements and group dissolutions.
Representation in proceedings of the Departments of Health, State Medicaid agency, the Attorney General's and Inspector General's offices, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Preparation of medical staff bylaws, policies and related documents
Design and implement corporate, HIPAA, Medicare reimbursement and other compliance programs
Served as hearing officer for hospital in peer review/medical staff disputes and as arbitrators in numerous other healthcare industry disputes
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator
- American Health Lawyers Association, Past Vice Chair, Physicians Practice Group, Physicians Law Institute Planning Committee
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Past Chair, Healthcare Law Section
- Member, Tulsa County Bar Association
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Health Care Law, 2007-2017
- Listed in Super Lawyers, 2008-2011
- Chapters 1 (“Physician Practice Organizations”) and 3 (“Employment Agreements"), American Health Lawyers Association, Representing Physicians Handbook, 2006
- Chapter 19: “Introduction to Nonphysician Practitioners”, American Health Lawyers Association, Representing Physicians Handbook, 2d Edition., 2009
- Chapter 19: "Non-Physician Practitioners", American Health Lawyers Association, Representing Physicians Handbook, 3d Edition, 2013
- Nonphysician Practitioners: A Bridge To The Future In Healthcare, Health Lawyers Weekly, Vol. VIII Issue 11, 2010
Honors and Awards
- Articles editor, American Journal of Trial Advocacy, Cumberland School of Law of Samford University
- J.D., Samford University, Cumberland School of Law, Dean’s List, AmJur Award (Federal Securities Regulation), Articles Editor, American Journal of Trial Advocacy, 1981
- B.A., English, History, Vanderbilt University, 1974
Bar & Court Admissions
- Tennessee, 1981
- Oklahoma, 1985
- United States District Court Middle District of Tennessee, 1981
- United States District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1985
- United States District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit, 1985
Related News / Publications
Seminars / Events