Jared Nelson advises clients on transactional and compliance matters involving corporate, business and health care issues. Jared distinguishes himself as a technician in the law, regularly designing novel business arrangements and customized transaction structures that fulfill clients’ particular requirements and specifications.
Jared’s technical approach to the law also serves clients well who need assistance with diverse compliance activities, whether arising in general corporate and business environments or the highly regulated health care industry. In particular, he possesses a wealth of expertise and experience in health care fraud and abuse investigations, remediation and contracting guidance, including with respect to the Stark Law, Anti-kickback Statute and False Claims Act.
Jared is a proponent and adherent of life-long learning practices, which currently includes his enrollment in a part-time Master of Laws (LL.M.) program with the University of Alabama School of Law. The curriculum continues to build on Jared’s overall business transactions knowledge, with advanced courses on Securities Regulation, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Tax, Partnership Tax, Private Equity, Corporate Finance and other topics relevant to Jared’s practice and his clients’ needs.
- Negotiating and documenting assorted hospital-physician financial arrangements, including professional service agreements, medical director agreements, call coverage agreements and physician employment agreements.
- Reviewing, investigating and evaluating potentially fraudulent, abusive or non-compliant payment arrangements among health care providers, including ownership and compensation relationships that implicate the Stark Law, Anti-kickback Statute (AKS) and False Claims Act (FCA).
- Designing and updating compensation plans for physician groups, including pay-for-performance (P4P) metrics based on quality and cost of health care services, drawing from conclusions and reports of third-party valuation consultants, recommendations of professional membership organizations and credentialing boards, policy statements of government regulators, and business parameters and objectives of clients.
- Developing sophisticated business arrangements and transaction structures that leverage regulatory protections afforded to physician group practices and comply with various exceptions to the Stark Law and safe harbors under the Anti-kickback Statute (AKS).
- Monitoring and adjusting physician and non-physician ownership in hospitals and other health care entities, including those subject to prohibitions, limitations and regulations promulgated pursuant to the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Establishing, organizing and overseeing the continuing operations of businesses, whether as corporations (for-profit and not-for-profit), partnerships (general, limited, limited liability or limited liability limited partnership), limited liability companies or sole proprietorships, throughout their business life cycle.
- Evaluating and advising clients on options for issuing, reissuing and transferring ownership interests in business entities, subject to applicable requirement of the Securities Act of 1933.
- Advising real estate developers on corporate and general business issues, including limiting liability and protecting equity investors through statutory pronouncements, common law principles and contractual provisions.
- Structuring and drafting restrictive covenants, including non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements, to maximize their efficacy and enforceability in various transaction settings while complying with applicable laws.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Oklahoma Bar Association (2009-Present), Rules of Professional Conduct Committee. Business and Corporate Law Section, Health Law Section
- Tulsa County Bar Association (2009-Present)
- American Bar Association (2009-Present), Business Law Section, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association (2009-Present), Fraud & Abuse Practice Group, Business Governance Practice Group
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, 2015-2016
- B.S., Geography, Minor in Business Law, Texas A&M University, Dean's Honor Roll, Distinguished Student, 2005
- J.D., with honors, University of Tulsa College of Law, John and Hazel Rogers Memorial Scholarship for Law, 2009
- LL.M., Business, The University of Alabama School of Law, anticipated 2017
Bar & Court Admissions
Related News / Publications