Richard Foster represents companies in their general business, tort and aviation litigation. His trial experience includes claims involving contracts, aviation, product liability, shareholder disputes, securities actions and accountants' liability and malpractice.
Richard is an instrument-rated private pilot and panel attorney for the AOPA Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.
- Represented a large Oklahoma utility company in a Cessna 210 aircraft wire strike accident case involving wrongful death claims. The case was settled shortly before trial.
- Represented a large Oklahoma aviation manufacturer in arbitration of contract claim against Raytheon. The matter was settled prior to the arbitration hearing.
- Represented a waterworks supplier in several claims and lawsuits involving construction disputes, payment bonds, and mechanic’s liens.
- Served as lead trial counsel and successfully defended a commercial loan borrower in a fraud action filed by Oklahoma’s largest SBA lender. Following a bench trial, the court ruled in favor of the borrower and dismissed all the fraud claims. The district court’s decision was affirmed by the appeals court.
- Represented a large Indiana utility in a negligence and fraud action against an Oklahoma oil and gas producer. The matter was settled prior to the trial.
- Served as lead counsel for a foreign government’s aviation authority in a contract dispute in federal district court against an Oklahoma aerospace firm. The district court's judgment allowed the foreign government to collect on the standby letters of credit issued in favor of the foreign government.
- Successfully defended a Tennessee aircraft dealer in a negligence and fraud action brought in federal court by an Oklahoma buyer of a Shrike Commander. The case was dismissed on jurisdiction grounds.
- Served as lead counsel in representing an Oklahoma buyer of a Cessna 414 aircraft in breach of contract and fraud action against out-of-state seller and its partners. The district court denied the seller’s motion to dismiss on jurisdictional grounds. Following discovery, the matter was settled.
- Represented an Oklahoma landowner in defending an action brought by neighboring landlocked landowner seeking to establish a roadway easement through the condemnation statutes. Following discovery proceedings, the landlocked landowner voluntarily dismissed its lawsuit and paid all of our client’s attorney fees.
- Successfully obtained a Section 333 execmption from FAA for our client's commercial use of drone (UAS).
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
AOPA Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Legal Services Plan
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
AOPA Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
Panel Attorney for AOPA
Oklahoma Bar Association
Lawyer Pilots Bar Association
National Business Aviation Association (NBAA)
Certified Public Accountant (Oklahoma)
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1982
- Accounting, University of Kansas, 1979
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oklahoma, 1982
- United States District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1982
- United States District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 1985
- United States District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 1989
- United States Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2002
- United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit, 1983
- United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1998