Richard Hix is a skilled trial attorney who has effectively represented clients in complex litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States for over thirty-five years.
Richard has experience in a wide variety of commercial litigation, including class actions, oil and gas, healthcare, environmental, employment, securities, banking, antitrust, insurance, and intellectual property. He works confidently and competently for his clients in all stages of large-scale civil litigation from the initial meeting all the way to appeals in the state and federal court systems.
Clients depend on Richard to assist them in case evaluation and structuring settlements in complex multi-party cases. He is a skilled mediator and is currently serving as an adjunct settlement judge for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma. He formerly served in the same position for the Tulsa County District Court.
- Successfully defended a breach of contract claim related to the acquisition and development of oil and gas leases throughout a large portion of central Oklahoma, obtaining a verdict in favor of the defendant.
- Successfully defended a class action claim asserting improper billings for a nationally recognized hospital in Tulsa
- Successfully settled an action brought by an investor which alleged breach of contract and business torts against an Oklahoma based gas company.
- Led a team of attorneys in successfully defending and negotiating a settlement for a national energy company in an environmental case in which tens of millions of dollars in damages were claimed by the plaintiff.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement for an international aerospace corporation in a dispute involving tens of millions of dollars.
- Represented an individual and trust as lead counsel, and subsequently chief appellate counsel, in a corporate contract and business tort case, resulting in a trial verdict and judgment of more than $11 million.
- Negotiated a successful settlement for a multi-national chemical company, in a matter arising from an unsuccessful joint venture between parties.
- Successfully represented defendants against an injunction related to the copyright of inventory software for a national corporation.
- Served as lead counsel through appeal in a case involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and securities fraud case against a savings and loan company that ultimately resulted in a judgment of nearly $10 million for the client.
- Over the course of several years, successfully defended a public utility company in approximately 50 proceedings for a total of more than $1 billion concerning natural gas contracts.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement for a large Chicago law firm facing sanctions as a result of allegations of improper conduct.
- Represented a national accounting firm in a securities fraud case involving several parties and billions of dollars, which was in litigation for almost five years.
- Successfully settled a case involving allegations of breach of contract and other business torts for a natural gas company.
- Obtained jury trial verdict and sizeable judgment for the plaintiff in a breach of contract case.
- Successfully represented a national energy company through jury trial against claims of more than $10 million related to various business torts, including breach of contract.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, 2006-2007, 2010-2016
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Commercial Litigation, 2005-2017
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Litigation-Securities, 2011-2017
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1977
- B.A., with highest honors, University of Oklahoma, Phi Beta Kappa, 1974
Bar & Court Admissions