Sam G. Bratton has substantial experience in all phases of creditors' rights, financial restructuring and bankruptcy, including representation of debtors, trustees, committees, secured and unsecured creditors, equity interests and purchasers, as well as in wealth management. Sam heads the firm's Creditor's Rights, Restructuring and Bankruptcy Practice Group and is one of the Firm's principal bankruptcy, restructuring and workout attorneys.
Sam is a frequent seminar lecturer on the subject of bankruptcy. He is a director and past chair of the Bankruptcy and Reorganization Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association, and chaired the Advisory Committee on Local Rules of procedure for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma. Mr. Bratton is also an Adjunct Settlement Judge for the Bankruptcy Court and previously served as a Special Judge of the Oklahoma Court of Appeals, Temporary Division.
Representation of Atlas Telephone Company, a rural exchange carrier (telephone company) in a vigorously contested Chapter 11 reorganization. The case involved government guaranteed financing and a highly specialized system of subsidies and accounting and unique valuation issues. A confirmed plan was achieved.
Representation of Oklahoma Ordnance Works Authority in successfully bringing an involuntary bankruptcy petition against a tenant involved in the recycling business. The case had significant environmental issues which were successfully resolved utilizing the bankruptcy process, state law and cooperatively working with the bankruptcy trustee. The property was successfully recovered and the client’s exposure to environmental liability was minimized.
Successful representation of the Town of Tyrone, Oklahoma in bringing and obtaining a confirmed plan in a Chapter 9 municipal reorganization, one of the few Chapter 9 cases of record in the State of Oklahoma.
Representation of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees as special counsel in numerous cases involving investigations, avoidance and recovery actions, Ponzi litigation, labor matters, 401(k) litigation and discharge actions. DSDA has also successfully defended virtually all species of avoidance and recovery actions brought by bankruptcy trustees in venues across the country involving millions of dollars.
Representation of the State of California in successfully defending a Chapter 13 debtor’s attempt to discharge liabilities associated with California traffic citations and to obtain reinstatement of a suspended driver’s license. The case involved significant constitutional and statutory issues central to operation of state agencies free of federal involvement.
Representation of Fannie Mae in all phases of bankruptcy matters involving commercial real estate foreclosures, including obtaining adequate protection, stay relief, appointment of trustees and dismissal of cases.
Successfully negotiated numerous financial workouts and reorganizations of debtors in a variety of industries outside of bankruptcy involving oil and gas, real estate, agricultural and retail business interests, among others.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Aligning Your Practice with the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005, National Business Institute, 2005
- Principal Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Enacted by the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005, National Business Institute, 2005
- Protection of Secured Interests in Bankruptcy in Oklahoma, National Business Institute, 1991
- Oklahoma Collection Law for Creditors, Professional Education Systems, Inc., 1988
- Basic Bankruptcy in Oklahoma, National Business Institute, 1987
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation-Bankruptcy 1987-2016
- Best Lawyers - 2013 Tulsa Litigation - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Tulsa’s Best Lawyers, Tulsa People Magazine
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, 2007-2015
- Previously listed in Who's Who in American Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Reorganization Section, Director and Past Chair
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, Chair, Advisory Committee on Local Rules of Procedure
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, Adjunct Settlement Judge
- Oklahoma Court of Appeals, Special Judge, Temporary Division
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Commercial Law League of America
- J.D., University of New Mexico, 1974
- B.B.A., University of New Mexico, 1969
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oklahoma, 1974
- United States District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1974
- United States Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1978
- United States District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit, 1980
- United States District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 1985
- United States Bankruptcy Court Western District of Oklahoma, 1985
- United States Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 1990
- United States Supreme Court, 1992
Related News / Publications