Jason Seay’s practice focuses on data security and privacy matters, healthcare law, regulatory compliance and administrative law and coverage disputes. His practice includes indemnity disputes, complex litigation, appeals, alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and election/campaign finance laws. He also assists with transactions unique to entrepreneurs, government contracting, construction contracting and internal and government investigations.
Jason is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), which demonstrates a strong foundation in private-sector privacy regulations and a deep understanding of the legal requirements for the responsible transfer of sensitive personal data. This certification is granted from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), a global organization dedicated to advancing the privacy and data protection industry.
Previously, Jason worked at the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office where he served as general counsel to the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs, the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision, the Oklahoma State Election Board and other state agencies. He also served as a prosecutor for the Board of Medical Licensure for three years where he prosecuted high profile opioid prescribing cases before the board. Prior to joining the Attorney General’s office, he was an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Tulsa. Jason’s significant experience serving as general counsel to numerous state entities provides clients with a unique and creative perspective for resolving challenging transactional and litigation matters.
- Restructured contracting and telemedicine procedures for a two thousand employee healthcare entity with seven long-term healthcare facilities while ensuring compliance with the HITECH Act and the recent revisions to HIPAA regulations.
- Investigated and prosecuted numerous healthcare professionals before the Oklahoma Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision and successfully defended the Board on appeal.
- Advised numerous state agencies on data privacy and security compliance, including data breach compliance, and implementing best practices.
- Successfully defended the State Election Board against numerous original actions before the Oklahoma Supreme Court regarding election law compliance and candidate eligibility disputes.
- Part of the multi-state litigation team representing the investment firm Oppenheimer & Co., Inc., that successfully resolved a $103 Million dollar lawsuit brought by the Oklahoma Insurance Department and successfully defended against related federal claims brought in other jurisdictions by private entities.
- Represented government and private entities in various arbitration venues over disputes regarding collective bargaining, personal injury, employment disputes, commercial disputes, corporate dissolution disputes.
- Successfully defended an industrial boiler company in a multi-million dollar indemnity action resulting from a boiler explosion causing significant personal injuries and property loss.
- Part of the litigation team that took one of the few Parret lawsuits to jury trial in Oklahoma, which concerned the intentional tort exception to employer’s exclusive liability provisions in the prior Workers Compensation statutory regime.
- Successfully brought numerous complex declaratory judgment actions over coverage disputes ranging from homeowners policies, CGL polices, D&O policies, and E&O policies, regarding asbestos claims, personal injury claims, defective foreign imports, class action litigation, defective securities issuances, and construction disputes.
- Obtained dismissal of a Florida based aircraft servicer and fixed based operator against claims for indemnity and negligence on personal jurisdiction grounds due to lack of continuous and systematic contacts with Oklahoma over the internet.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Member
- Council Oak/Johnson Sontag Inn of the American Inns of Court, Associate, 2007-2014
- State Chamber of Oklahoma, Active Member of Policy Committees, 2018
- Luther Bohannon Inn of the American Inns of Court, Barrister, 2014-present
- General Counsel's Forum, 2013-present
- J.D., University of Tulsa College of Law, with Health Law Certificate - Dean's List; Cali Award: Philosophy of Law; Board of Advocates, 2007
- B.A., Philosophy, University of Oklahoma, 2004
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oklahoma Bar, 2008
- United States District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 2008
- United States District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 2009
- United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit Oklahoma, 2009
- United States District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 2009
Related News / Publications
Seminars / Events