Philip Feist works with clients on estate planning, family business planning, and asset protection planning issues. He has provided technical legal and drafting advice to the Oklahoma State Legislature on its 2014 revisions to the Oklahoma Family Wealth Preservation Trust Act. He is a frequent presenter at continuing legal education seminars sponsored by the Oklahoma Bar Association and by the Tulsa County Bar Association in the areas of estate planning, tax-sensitive estate planning, family business succession planning, family entity planning and asset protection planning.
In addition, Philip is a nationally published author for Thomson Reuters Westlaw, which provides a wide range of legal treatises. He writes to share his knowledge, alongside Edward F. Koren, on estate, tax and personal financial planning. Philip produces monthly and quarterly updates regarding the developments relating to tax law, trust law, fiduciary law, probate and asset protection.
Prior to his practice, Philip clerked for the Hon. Peter W. Bowie at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of California, and moved to Tulsa in December 1991. He has been certified by the State Bar of California as an Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law specialist since 1999. Philip was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy with the rank of Lieutenant.
Speaking and Writing Engagements
- Presented Asset Protection Planning Updates, a five-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Oklahoma Bar Association, September 2019.
- Presented Asset Protection for California Residents, giving an overview of planning issues, legal considerations and helpful tools for the Eastern County Bar Association – Los Angeles; also published as a two-installments in the Thomson Reuters West Koren treatise, August 2019.
- Presented White Water Estate Planning: Asset Planning to Survive to the Next Generation, a four-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Oklahoma Bar Association, September 2018.
- Presented Through the Shadow Lands of Mordor: Drafting an Effective Asset Protection Trust, a three-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Oklahoma Bar Association, Fall 2017.
- Presented Estate Planning Practice Management, a twelve-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Tulsa County Bar Association, Fall 2017.
- Presented Advanced Asset Protection from Oklahoma, a three-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Oklahoma Bar Association, Fall 2016.
- Presented The Other Family Tree: Care and Protection for the Family Enterprise in Transition, a four-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Tulsa County Bar Association, May 2016.
- Presented Dodge the Bullet or Take the Hit: Tax-Sensitive Estate Planning, a four-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Tulsa County Bar Association, March 2016.
- Presented Fortress Oklahoma: Asset Preservation Planning for Oklahoma Lawyers, a three-part Continuing Legal Education series for the Oklahoma Bar Association, Winter 2015.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Texas Bar College
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Alternate Delegate, 2017-2018
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Section
- State Bar of California, Trusts and Estates Section
- Florida Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Texas State Bar, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Section
- Dallas County Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Little Light House, Advisory Board Member
- Tulsa Tax Club, Member
- Merciworks LLC, Board Member
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, 2016-2018
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1991
- Th.M., Theology, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1975
- B.A., University of California at Davis, 1971
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oklahoma, 1992
- California, 1992
- Kansas, 1995
- Territorial Court of the U.S. Virgin Islands, 1996, Inactive
- Florida, 2009
- Texas, 2012
Related News / Publications
Seminars / Events