Doug Dodd represents national and local media companies in media and intellectual property matters with an emphasis on First Amendment and defamation issues. He began practicing law after 14 years in radio and television journalism, including as News Director, Reporter, Anchor, Documentary and Public Affairs Producer for KOTV in Tulsa, as a Reporter and Associate Producer for Documentaries for KTUL-TV in Tulsa, and as a Reporter and Documentary Producer for KOTA-TV in Rapid City, South Dakota. Doug lectures to both attorneys and journalists on open meetings and open records issues, and to legal administrators on social networking trends and concerns.
Actively involved in the Media Law Resource Center's Defense Counsel Section, Doug served as co-chair of the MLRC’s national Pre-Publication/Pre-Broadcast Review Committee. He is also a contributing author of the Media Law Resource Center's Annual Survey of Oklahoma Media Privacy and Related Law.
Doug is also actively involved in Doerner's Native American Law Practice Group and represents Native American tribes and interests in federal court litigation.
Doug is a veteran of the United States Air Force, Strategic Air Command where he served as a Deputy Missile Combat Crew Commander. Before entering private practice in 1982, Doug served as a Law Clerk for United States District Judge James O. Ellison in the Northern District of Oklahoma.
Represented a national magazine and noted international photojournalist in the successful defense of a federal court lawsuit in the district court, court of appeals and U.S. Supreme Court, involving invasion of privacy, violation of right of publicity statutes and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims.
Represents television stations, news web sites and newspapers in libel and invasion of privacy claims.
Represents state television stations in pre-broadcast review and news access activities.
Represents authors in newsgathering litigation.
Represents producers of television and radio programs in copyright registration and pursuit of syndication or national placement.
Represents national music publisher in successful prosecution and ongoing appeal of federal claims against a noted songwriter.
Represented an Oklahoma City television station in the successful defense of a state court lawsuit in the district court and court of appeals, involving slander and false light invasion of privacy claims.
Represented a Tulsa television station in the successful defense of a state court lawsuit in the district court and court of appeals, involving slander and false light invasion of privacy claims.
Represented Tulsa news-talk radio stations in the successful defense of state and federal court libel lawsuits.
Represented a Tulsa news-talk radio station in the successful resolution of a state court libel lawsuit.
Represented Tulsa radio and television stations in news access efforts in the federal Oklahoma City bombing case.
Represented Tulsa radio and television stations in news access and cameras in the courtroom efforts in the state court Oklahoma City bombing case.
Represented national sports entertainment and video entities in the successful resolution of federal court lawsuit involving copyright infringement claims.
Represented two national publishing companies and a Pulitzer Prize winning author in the successful resolution of a federal court lawsuit involving libel, false light invasion of privacy, violation of right of publicity statutes and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims.
Represented local newspapers in successful defense of state court lawsuits involving libel, false light invasion of privacy, violation of right of publicity statutes and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- American Diabetes Association, Inc., past Chairman of the Board
- Tulsa School Board, member 1990-2001
- Foundation for Tulsa Schools, past board member
- The University of Tulsa College of Law Alumni Association, past board member
- Citizen CPR, The Critical Link, board member
- Tulsa Central High School Foundation, board member
- Judge Advocate for Carson, Wilson, Rigney, Forrester, Shoemaker American Legion Post 1, Tulsa Oklahoma
Honors and Awards
- The Tulsa County Bar Association "Neil E. Bogan Award for Professionalism", 2009
- Oklahoma Bar Association "Outstanding Service to the Public Award", 2008
- "W. Thomas Coffman Community Service Award", University of Tulsa College of Law Alumni Association, 2008
- Listed in Best Lawyers for First Amendment Law, Litigation - First Amendment 1993-2020
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, 2006-2007, 2013-2018
- Tulsa County Bar Association, "Golden Rule Award", 2004
- Pi Kappa Alpha Alumni of the Year, 2004
- Oklahoma State School Boards Association, Distinguished Service Award, 2001
- "Dr. Charles H. Best Medal" for Distinguished Service, American Diabetes Association, Inc., 1988
- Tulsa Classroom Teachers Association "Broadcaster of the Year", 1974-1975
- "Outstanding Young Men of America", 1975
- "Marshall Gregory Award", Oklahoma Education Association, 1975-1976
- "Tuskahoma Brown Miller Citizen Award", Oklahoma Education Association Human Relations Commission, 1977
- "Marshall Gregory Award", Oklahoma Education Association, 1978
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Media Law Resource Center, Defense Counsel Section, Member
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Chairman, Communications Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Media, Privacy and Defamation Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Forum on Communications Law
- American Diabetes Association, Inc., 1988-1989, Chairman of the Board
- Tulsa School Board, 1994-1996, President
- Tulsa School Board, 1990-2001, Elected Representative from District 7
- J.D., University of Tulsa College of Law, 1981
- B.S., Speech, Radio and Television, University of Tulsa, 1971
Bar & Court Admissions
- Oklahoma, 1982
- United States District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1982
- United States District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 1983
- United States District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit, 1982
- United States Supreme Court, 2004
Related News / Publications
Seminars / Events