Stephanie E. Kaiser has extensive experience in representing individuals and various business entities in a wide variety of litigation, bankruptcy, banking and finance, corporate, regulatory, farming and ranching, and administrative law matters. Such matters include banking and financial service disputes, fraud cases, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty disputes, cases involving theft, conversion, and misapplication of fiduciary property, patent and trademark infringement allegations, Lanham Act allegations, lease disputes, insurance coverage disputes, construction law matters, and FDCPA and FCRA allegations, as well as corporate matters, including custom loan documentation, participation agreements, and syndication loans, standards of conduct, and compliance issues.
- Represented clients in a variety of litigation matters, including wrongful death, fraud, fraudulent transfer, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, conversion, Texas Theft Liability Act, DTPA, Lanham Act, patent and trademark infringement, negligence, gross negligence, shareholder derivative, and misappropriation of fiduciary property matters.
- Represented various creditors in bankruptcy court proceedings, including adversary proceedings involving preferences, fraudulent transfers, and breaches of contracts, and contested confirmation and valuation proceedings. Also represented various creditors in state court proceedings to: recover monies owed, including obtaining writs of sequestration and possession of collateral; defend against collection efforts; and obtain injunctive and other relief.
- Represented creditor in obtaining dismissal of Chapter 11 bankruptcy case with prejudice for bad faith filing.
- Represented professional association in litigation, corporate, labor and employment, Board, administrative and regulatory matters.
- Advised and trained clients on various litigation, bankruptcy, administrative, regulatory, labor and employment, and consumer law matters.
- Represented clients in handling special assets and resolving issues involving distressed debt.
- Represented various medical and dental practitioners in state board and administrative matters.
- Served as sole arbitrator and mediator in matter involving two financing institutions.
- Represented clients to recover assets in matter involving extensive Ponzi scheme.
- Represented real estate investment trust and other lessors in various lease agreement disputes involving real property located in Texas and Mexico.
- Represented creditor in seeking declaratory relief in multi-state dispute over real estate and non-judicial foreclosure.
- Represented religious organization in insurance coverage of sexual abuse allegations.
- Defeated claims of fraud and negligence on summary judgment.
- Represented various plaintiffs and defendants in insurance coverage disputes.
- Represented widow and child of man who was shot, abandoned, and killed by employees of a Webb County ranch in obtaining favorable jury verdict, judgment, and settlement.
- Represented victim of negligent and excessive force by nightclub security guard in obtaining favorable jury verdict and judgment, including award of punitive damages that was affirmed by Third Court of Appeals.
- Defended cable company in federal court against Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act class action case. Plaintiff dismissed complaint after Motion to Dismiss was filed on behalf of cable company.
- Represented alarm company in federal court against Lanham Act allegations.
- Obtained favorable settlement for tower construction company in defending against gross negligence allegations relating to deaths of two employees, who fell from three-hundred foot tower.
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of a daycare against state agency.
- Advised clients and prepared documents on various financing projects, including syndication, participation, and custom loans.
- Advised clients on consumer laws, including Dodd-Frank Act and CFPB, and provide training on same.
- Serve as Standards of Conduct Official for client.
- Speaker, Article 9 - Perfection, Priorities and Other Unique Issues to be Aware of, Texas State Bar's Collections and Creditors' Rights Course, 2018
- Speaker, Distinguishing between Consumer and Non-Consumer Loans and Related Considerations, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2016
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, Borrower Rights 101 Training, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2016
- Speaker, Ethical and Practical Considerations Concerning Multi-State Agricultural Operations, 9th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Law Course, TexasBar CLE, 2015
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, Standards of Conduct Roundtable, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2015
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, Borrower Rights 101 Training, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2015
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, This Year in Borrower Rights, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2015
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, Handling Adverse Actions and Adverse Credit Decisions, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2015
- Speaker, Update on Agricultural Finance Issues (The Amended Rules under CFPB and Agricultural Finance), 8th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Law Course, TexasBar CLE, 2014
- Speaker, The New CFPB Appraisal Rules, FCC Services RAAW Conference, 2014
- Speaker, Tips for a Collection Lawyer in Court, 12th Annual Collections & Creditors’ Rights Course, TexasBar CLE, 2014
- Speaker, Exemptions from Borrower Rights and Consumer Finance Protection Bureau Rules, AgFirst Farm Credit Compliance Conference, 2014
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, Standards of Conduct Roundtable, AgFirst Compliance Conference, 2014
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, CFPB Compliance Overview and Analysis of the New Rules and Compliance under those Rules, 2013
- Speaker, Qualified Mortgages and Ability to Repay & Higher-Priced Mortgage Loans and New Appraisal Rules, 2013
- Speaker and Co-Presenter, Sequestrations and Agricultural Issues in Bankruptcy, 7th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Law Course, TexasBar CLE, 2013
- Speaker, Mortgage Servicing Rules and High-Priced Mortgage Loans under Regs X and Z, AgFirst Compliance Conference, 2013
- Speaker, Borrower Rights, Litigation, and Bankruptcy, 2013
- Speaker, Referrals, Texas Foreclosure Process, Deficiency Judgments, and Bankruptcy Basics, 2012
- Speaker and Panel Member, Borrower Rights and Distressed Loan Collection and Bankruptcy Issues, The Farm Credit System Attorney’s Conference, 2012
- Speaker, Ethics Issues in Bankruptcy, The Farm Credit System Attorney’s Conference, 2012
- Speaker, Borrower Rights and Loan Regulatory Issues (Beginner and Advanced), Farm Credit Bank of Texas, 2012 Speaker and Panel Member, Farm Credit Borrower Rights, AgFirst Compliance Conference, 2012
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, Barrister Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Recognized by Texas Law & Politics, Texas Rising Star: Business Litigation, 2006-2012
- Recognized by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine, Top Attorney, 2012, 2016
- Fort Worth Business Press, Top 40 under 40, 2013
- B.A., summa cum laude, Texas Christian University, 1996
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- Texas, 1999
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Related News / Publications