Lewis Carter is an experienced litigator who represents companies and individuals, including banks and lending institutions, manufacturers, service providers and others in the healthcare industry. With over thirty years of experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants, Lewis has represented a wide range of clients in general and commercial litigation, as well as employment, healthcare and ERISA litigation, and securities arbitration.
Lewis has first chair experience as a trial attorney and has arbitrated numerous cases involving the securities industry. He is also a skilled mediator, having successfully represented numerous clients in mediation proceedings. As an adjunct settlement judge, certified by the federal court, he has assisted in settling many cases presented to him.
Obtained millions of dollars in judgments representing local and national banks, lenders, and credit associations in commercial loan and real estate litigation, including commercial foreclosures and receivership actions.
Represents one of the primary HMO’s in Oklahoma in connection with its litigation, including ERISA litigation.
Experienced in both defending and pursuing claims of lender liability.
Represented numerous businesses in connection with contractual disputes with third-parties and departing employees.
Represented parties in connection with trade secret litigation and breach of non-compete/non-solicitation employment contracts.
Represents federally chartered lender in commercial loan proceedings, in that context, obtained millions of dollars of judgments against key principal in contested litigation testing the scope of limited recourse liability.
Represented numerous securities brokers and brokerage firms in arbitration actions before NASD/FINRA arbitration panels.
Extensive involvement in obtaining and defending motions for emergency injunctive relief.
Successfully represented clients in contested guardianship hearings and cases challenging the appointment of trustees.
Successfully represented clients in malpractice claims against attorneys.
Professional, Community and Pro Bono Involvement
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Commercial Litigation, 2013-2017
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, 2006, 2010-2016
- Tulsa Leadership in Law Honoree, 2008
- Oklahoma Bar Association - Pro Bono of the Year Award, 2007
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Represented members of Hispanic community through Catholic Charities for more than 20 years
- J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, Editor, Oklahoma Law Review; Orders of the Coif; Orders of the Barrister, 1980
- Anthropology, The University of Texas
- B.A., Anthropology, Dartmouth College, 1973
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 1980
- United States District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 1980
- United States District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit, 1980
- United States Tax Court, 2010
- United States Supreme Court, 1997
- Supreme Court Oklahoma, 1980